PWL Senior Urban Designer (7+ years of experience)
PWL Partnership Landscape Architects Inc. is a leading Landscape Architectural and Urban Design firm with a strong focus on sustainable design. Our practice undertakes a wide range of projects located throughout Western Canada, Cascadia Region and Asia. Our diverse portfolio of projects include park design, open space planning, comprehensive master planning on mixed use developments, institutional projects and multi-family residential neighbourhoods.
We are a progressive company built by a team of supportive, enthusiastic, hardworking, and curious people who lead with their values. We offer competitive salaries with overtime compensation, a comprehensive benefits package, mentorship and support for ongoing professional learning and growth. PWL is Living Wage certified and is a JUST registered company through the International Living Futures Institute.
You are a confident, enthusiastic, senior urban designer driven by your values and fueled by a passion for what you do. You have 7+ years of office experience to fulfill a senior urban design position, with the prospect of continued career growth with our firm. Whether you are mentoring others or supporting client and consulting teams, you know how to integrate and exude presence and purpose. In addition, your promotional and business acumen can be applied to growing our business.
Knowledge and Experience:
Candidates must have a degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture, or Planning, and/or a Master’s in Urban Design with 7+ years of related professional experience in an applied urban design focused role in a design firm and/or public agency. Work requires ability to solve complex urban design, planning, and zoning problems; to analyze and interpret planning and design issues at a wide range of scales; to communicate clearly in both graphic and verbal form; and, to operate effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team. Familiarity with the Lower Mainland’s communities is desirable. Candidate must additionally be able to work independently and within integrated design teams. The following will be considered critical parts of a successful candidate’s skill set:
- Expert skills in Urban Design acquired through education and/or professional experience (Urban Design, Landscape Architecture or Architecture offices);
- Extensive experience designing public space, open space, land uses and built form;
- Comprehension of land use planning policy;
- Previous roles as design & management lead on a range of urban design projects including land use analysis, comprehensive masterplans and urban design guidelines;
- Demonstrated previous experience in mentorship and team leadership roles;
- Provide a supporting role to senior team with business development activities and general urban design related marketing initiatives;
- Experience with direct client care;
- Exceptional report writing skills including full proficiency with the English language;
- Proficiency with software including CAD, SketchUp, GIS, PowerPoint, Adobe software, and/or equivalent programs is required;
- Proficient hand drawing skills including plan, elevation and in 3D.
- Proficient computer graphic skills to create compelling visualizations (building, site, urban planning, and various analytics) are an essential requirement;
- Strong presentation skills including the ability to facilitate meetings with diverse stakeholders who may have competing interests;
- Candidates should also have Professional Designations (obtained or working towards) that include BCSLA, ASLA, CSLA, MCIP, AIBC.
Please send your resume and portfolios to [email protected]. We request PDFs instead of web links, and request files be less than 15MB file size and 25-pages or less. The deadline for receiving applications is Sunday, March 15th, 2020, at 5pm. Some applicants may be contacted before the closing date. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest and effort, however only those invited for interviews may be contacted.